The Fire Sprinkler Designer II (two) will be responsible for conducting analytical studies of fire protection proposals to develop designs in compliance with NFPA codes, manufacturer instructions and customer requirements. Under the direction of the Fire Protection Manager they will be working on day to day design of major projects. BMWC Constructors will internally on-the-job teach/train all necessary BMWC and client systems. Additionally, BMWC will pay for appropriate fire protection certifications (NICET, for example) to add value and experience for BMWC and for their potential career advancement.Essential Functions and Requirements
· Assist in the review/writing of specifications and proposal documents
· Able to develop project design pull schedules associated with design fees
· Support the engineering department in delivering quality design and constructions service to customers
· Responsible for coordinating with owners’ representatives and
other technical trades on the project(s)
· Work with leadership and design personnel. Performing design and coordination efforts in conjunction with other trades (predominately mechanical, plumbing, piping)
· Ensures compliance with all federal and local rules and regulations applicable to the geographic area as well as all company policies and procedures
· Ensures that designs are in compliance with NFPA codes, FM Global Data Sheets, manufacturer instructions and customer requirements
· Responsible for complying with Company procedures for the maintenance of accurate as-builts
· Provides documentation for Company records, customer
records, the authority having jurisdiction, and other entities as required
Innovation & Expertise
· Able to qualify, estimate and propose on design fees, which include coordination efforts
· Prepares system installation and repair layouts
This position has regular contact with all levels of internal and field staff, customers, and third-party partners and vendors. This position is considered part of the Project Services team and reports to the Manager of Fire Protection.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Bachelor’s degree preferred, with major field of study in construction management, mechanical engineering, industrial design, another related degree OR equivalent experience.
Additional coursework, training and/or certification are also a plus.
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required 40+ hours per week. Office hours are 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. This is an exempt position that will require time in excess of 40 hours to complete the assigned responsibilities. Travel is required – the employee must be able to travel to other company locations, vendor locations and job sites as needed.
While performing the duties of this position the employee is regularly required to sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time. Travel to field construction sites and work locations will result in exposure to dust and dirt on a routine basis. Other conditions include foul odors, irritating noises, extreme heat, cold and other severe weather conditions, potential harsh movement/vibrations, wetness or humidity, and potential safety hazards.
Employees are expected to have, utilize, maintain and wear all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required by BMWC, the third party partner, client and any/or other applicable regulatory agency or management directive.
The employee may be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, lift, carry, pull, grasp, sit or bend over for extended periods. The employee must be able to lift, carry and move up to 40 pounds as needed.
Employees in this position must be able to walk around indoor office and warehouse facilities and outdoor job sites with distances up to one-half mile on uneven, paved, gravel, dirt or sandy surfaces.