Technician performs mechanical services on new and used heavy equipment in the service shop area. Position is responsible for testing, repairing and rebuilding heavy equipment. Additional responsibilities include; ordering parts, writing service reports, return of parts, core returns, assigning time to jobs and adhering to all safety regulations.
Essential Position Duties
- Adheres to all safety rules and maintains good housekeeping (5S) in shop area.
- Diagnoses and repairs equipment in the service shop.
- Completes all required reporting for service time in an accurate and efficiently; this includes writing service reports, properly allocating time to each job, and tracking parts charged and parts returned.
- Maintains customer satisfaction by understanding customer needs and deadlines, attempting to complete scheduled repairs and service as safely, timely and accurately as possible.
- Maintains company issued equipment and tools, keeping them in good working order.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through a high school education or equivalent. Technical background provided through a vocational school with studies in diesel equipment repair.
- 3-5 years mechanical experience with heavy equipment, preferably with Caterpillar. Strong working knowledge of hydraulics, power train and electrical systems.
- Exhibits good problem solving skills; is able to identify problems, solicit other’s opinions and offer valid solutions. Interprets and applies policies, procedures and guidelines. Demonstrates a basic understanding of warranty administration.
- Responds to customer requests with a sense of urgency, treating customers as his/her highest priority. Takes personal responsibility with customers, keeping commitments and following through on requests.
- Is able to project professionalism with both internal and external customers, including personal appearance along with friendly, courteous treatment of peers, subordinates and customers.
- A strong knowledge of the product and a good knowledge of the product market with a strong respect for the Caterpillar influence.
- Is able to apply basic understanding of MS Word, Excel and data base systems and learn specific industry software.
- The ability to work over-time and weekends.