AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
The Capture Manager identifies the resources needed to pursue a business opportunity; oversees bid strategies, pricing, teaming, and proposal strategies; and manages the transition from business opportunity to proposal development to award. The Capture Manager reports to the business unit leader and must achieve unprecedented levels of capture process quality and increased competitiveness by insuring interdependent, timely and streamlined execution of the capture/proposal process. Accountable for capture leadership of an assigned portfolio of opportunities. Identifies targets of opportunity; qualifies identified opportunities; develops Capture and Win Strategy for qualified opportunities approved by Executive leadership. Leads large, complex, strategic and high dollar value capture efforts to secure new or re-compete contracts, or task order business. Acts on behalf of the executive sponsor for the opportunity. Accountable to shape and win opportunities through balanced focus on customer, competitive environment, and AMG’s best interests.
- Performs opportunity analyses, and interfaces with AMG leadership and organizations to ensure timely delivery of winning proposals.
- Develops capture and win strategies including business solution for pursuit
- Performs market and economic analyses
- Designs and executes formal capture plans
- Monitors competitor activity
- Executes customer call plans to qualify and assess the “win-ability” of new opportunities, and to shape acquisitions
- Leads and coordinates competitive assessments—determines the strengths and weaknesses of AMG team and potential competitors
- Evaluates potential teammates to ensure complete coverage of all opportunity requirements, and coordinates teaming activities and decisions
- Identifies resources required to pursue a bid, and guides bid and proposal activities
- Leads development of customer profiles—including customer needs, issues, hopes, and biases
- Regularly interacts with all levels of management, infrastructure POCs, staff, and customers
- Prepares pipeline plans
- Provides input to Business Unit plans and artifacts.
- Ensures development of solutions that offer competitive distinction and readily executable approaches
- Prepare and lead Gate Reviews
- Develop B&P spend plans and track all associated expenses
- Solicit and glean advanced knowledge of pending needs, current systems, future requirements, and organizations to position AMG for pursuit of new contracts and customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree, a master degree would be preferred, along with ten plus years of experience in International Sales and related support functions. Successful track record of account planning and significant (>$50M) capture. Diplomatic, persuasive and articulate communication style to establish and maintain rapport with internal and external customers / partners. Aptitude for milestone-based capture process.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a plus, proactive, superior attention to detail, project management, and organizational skills. Business acumen, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, reliability and sound judgment. Passion for personal accountability, achievement, learning and continual improvement. Ability to articulate complex issues into succinct, cohesive summaries and presentations. Ability to travel on an as needed basis. Experience with foreign government budget, investments and acquisition processes. Deep understanding of pricing, baseline pricing strategies, and the evolution of pricing strategies into business strategies that are competitive and compelling for the customer. Knowledge of and strong contacts within the relevant customer and technical community to facilitate strategic teaming relationships. The position requires understanding of sales and business development methodology and requirements development.
- Ability to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, managers, and peers across the company.
- This position requires strong organizational skills, a high level of initiative and moderate knowledge concerning MS Office Products., Leadership and supervisory skills are an asset to this position. Knowledge of a second language is a plus. Technical background in automotive or related areas are a plus.
- Military experience in the following areas: Foreign Area Officer (FAO), Defense Attaché (DATT), or Senior Defense Official (SDO) with demonstrated and working knowledge of Foreign Assistance Programs, Foreign Military Sales (FMS) and Foreign Military Financing (FMF) acquisitions programs.
- Extensive professional network within the assigned capture territory and portfolio.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires one to work both alone and as part of a team. Visits to multiple locations within the company and to outside locations are routine. Some isolation and limited support is to be expected. Very little of what is dealt with on a day to day basis is routine, expect wide variance in tasks depending assigned capture effort and portfolio assignment. Expect tight deadlines and multiple demands on time on a fairly consistent basis. External conditions may include foreign location, factory and training facility presence where there can be more extreme working conditions.