Position duties include but are not limited to: perform mechanical services on equipment both new and rentals for the Service Department at job sites or in the shop.
Essential Position Duties
- Diagnoses and repairs equipment in the shop or at customer sites including rebuilding of components, a complete rebuild or any part thereof.
- Initiates and/or completes all associated paper work for the service and/or repair, including writing the service report and recording time technician(s) spent repairing and/or servicing equipment, parts charged and returned, serial number, type of equipment, etc.
- Maintains customer satisfaction by understanding the customers’ needs and time constraints and attempting to complete scheduled repairs and service safely and within those constraints while providing superior quality to meet and/or exceed the customer’s needs.
- Maintains company issued vehicles, equipment, tools, work areas, etc. by keeping them in good working order, clean, professional in appearance, and up to date with suggested maintenance.
- Performs related duties as required such as maintaining the safety and housekeeping associated with the particular work site.
- Equipment should be cleaned, greased, all fluid levels checked and be in proper operation condition before being placed on the ready line
- Internal shop repair orders are to be completed on each piece of equipment as work is performed
- All service calls are to be performed in a timely and efficient manner as directed by the leadman and coordinators
- The shop deadline, service line, and equipment staging areas are to be kept clean, organized and professional looking at all times
- Adhere to manager’s and lead mechanic’s directions regarding all repairs and service calls
- Properly tag all equipment prior to placing in the ready line
- Storage of equipment/vehicles in appropriate manner when not in use to prevent property damage.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through a high school education or the equivalent with a technical background or additional training preferred, as provided through a vocational school with studies in diesel equipment repair.
- Three to five years’ mechanical experience with heavy equipment preferably with a rental company or Caterpillar and/or in a position with a working knowledge of hydraulics, powertrain, electronic/electrical systems etc.
- Good decision-making and creative thinking skills.
- Good problem solving, diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with the ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures and guidelines and basic understanding of warranty administration.
- Moderate computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Office. Moderate experience using data base systems.
- Good customer service skills, basic prospecting skills and the ability to meet and/or exceed customer expectations.
- Good listening and verbal communication skills.
- A working knowledge of safety rules, laws and regulations concerning engine service, hydraulics, electrical, technical functions of various components and tooling procedures and capabilities.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with little supervision and achieve required goals and objectives.
- The ability to work over time and weekends.
- The ability to uphold professionalism with both internal and external customers, including personal appearance and friendly, courteous treatment of peers, subordinates and customers.
- May be required to obtain a CDL.