AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes three wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer General Engine Products, automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products, and Mobility Ventures, designer and manufacturer of the acclaimed MV-1, the only American made vehicle specifically engineered from the ground up in support of wheelchair users and people with disabilities. AM General is also proud to have been selected by Mercedes-Benz to be its only contract manufacturer in the United States, producing the R-Class vehicle in Mishawaka, Ind.
AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
- Provide engineering function as it pertains to engineering specifications, document control, and document distribution. Process TDP changes or proposals generated by the release of PPEPs, ECPs, ERRs., RFVs, EARs or Configuration Mgt. Maintain the integrity of product bill of materials and associated drawings, along with meeting company schedules to meet contractual commitments.
- Interpret technical data as required for manufacturing, quality assurance, purchasing, manufacturing personnel, vendors, etc.
- Prepare change proposals, obtain cost study from estimating, and coordinate change with manufacturing, purchasing, vendor and quality. Develop rationale for proposal to customer.
- Provide support to Resident Engineering on new prototype changes, and perform project management direction as required.
- Work on special assignments supporting product engineering, contracts, and manufacturing.
- Provide Engineering ECP cost process support providing cost estimating with preliminary cost BOMs and associated drawings.
- Coordinate with the configuration control manager for the accomplishment of the following:
- Review engineering action request (EARs) from all departments, distribute to and coordinate with resident engineering and all effected departments.
- Collate input from all effected departments and forward to the configuration control board (CCB). For completion of forms and distribution.
- Expedite effectively points of critical changes as required.
- Determine or obtain acceptable engineering fix, review with product engineering and obtain approval.
- Interpret Engineering data for vendors, quality, purchasing, etc. and provide technical assistance.
- Performs periodic Process Reviews
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required for this position along with 2-5 years of experience
- Strong problem solving and multi-tasking skills
- Moderate level of leadership and customer service skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge with Microsoft Office and SAP.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to effectively manage multiple projects.
- Attention to detail and accuracy required.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Travel up to 10% of the time may be required.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
This position requires one to work alone and as a team, at times to be isolated with minimal support, in an inside work area, while maintaining a regular work schedule.